BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Friday, November 4, 2016

Hummingbird Painting; Peak Color; Movies

A young hummingbird enthusiast sent me this nice picture she painted:


We must be at peak color here on Long Island. This afternoon I went for a walk in the woods that surround the sanctuary, and was glad to see a young couple struggling through the neglected paths of the Town of Riverhead Sound Ave Preserve at the southern end of the driveway. I rarely see any visitors there, because walking there is so difficult. On the western side of the drive the polo field is immaculate. Then I hiked down to the Sound, back up again and chopped some wood for the stove that keeps me warm these cold nights when I'm not snuggled up at our cosy home in Stony Brook. I wonder whether another LaLa will visit the sanctuary this winter? Most of the flowers are still in bloom. Here's more videos from the summer.







1 comment:

  1. The painting is great! Looks like a Broad-billed Hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete