BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Maybe....

We will decide whether to open this afternoon later when the weather/hummer situation is clearer. We opened yesterday morning but it was rather disappointing. Nevertheless Linda Sullivan got some nice pictures, one of which is shown here:

It shows a hummer feeding at Rosebay Salvia (S. involucrata "Bethelli) - you can see very well the wing just before it sweeps back.
In the afternoon, when we closed, of course activity picked up quite well. Please be patient - we will be open lots of days throughout august.

We also admit private groups at previously agreed times - please contact me at padamsyouknowwhatnotesdotsunysbdotedu. During such private times (9.30 to 12.30 or 3 to 5.30) we are closed to the public. At weekends the group should be at least 15 (carpooling); during the week the group should be at least 8.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully you will be open Monday! I would like to take a visit then with a few friends. I have hummingbirds in my yard in Sound Beach and I have become quite enthralled with attracting and learning about them. The hummer in this picture is the same as the one or two that I have in my yard -- is this a female or young ruby-throated?

    ReplyDelete