BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, July 8, 2013

Volunteers Needed!

Activity is definitely increasing, and I am starting to see some juveniles (and a couple of juvie-juvie chases). I think these were born locally, because it's very unlikely that juveniles would already be migrating from further north. Here's a couple of not very good photos (with my $100 Walmart camera) I took this evening. The first shows a bird approaching coral honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens), which is a superb hummer vine that flowers early (late may) and keeps blooming through the summer.


The next shows a hummer approaching Salvia guarantica.


And in the third image, the hummer is visiting Salvia greggii, with S guarantica nearby.


And now, to business. We are going away for a few days in the second half of july and need help at the sanctuary with a couple of chores: (1) replenishing empty feeders (2) watering plants, especially in pots. Even if you can only visit once, it will help, though you would also need to visit during the coming week, for instructions etc. If you can help out, please send me an email (paul.adams&stonybrook.edu, where you must substitute @ for &). I think there will be quite a bit of activity in later july, and you can certainly bring your camera, and enjoy the birds, as long as you do a bit to help. You will also enjoy a magnificent display of crocosmia "Lucifer" and "Hyperion" day lilies.

No comments:

Post a Comment