BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Shep Jones wakes up; Bahama Woodstar Hummingbird filmed the day I fell ill.

back on may 5 I filmed parts of the Avalon preserve that lies on both sides of Shep Jones Lane, the dirt road that links 25A in Saint James to Harbor Rd in Head of the Harbour (see https://www.google.com/maps/place/Shep+Jones+Ln,+St+James,+NY+11780/@40.9079909,-73.1515259,1042m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e83932f7c4835b:0xfd0f7483f3b129d9)/ Here are some of the results.




I'm in Stony Brook and have no fresh hummer vids from Baiting Hollow, so here's a movie I shot april 4 at Calypso, Eleuthera, the day I fell sick. It shows a male bahama woodstar (note the purple gorget) feeding at firecracker (Russellia equisetiformis), which is abundant in my large garden there. Shortly after I took to my bed, where I languished for 10 days before returning urgently to the US.




No comments:

Post a Comment