BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Thursday, March 10, 2016

The babies


It's been too windy yesterday and today to properly film the nest - it's been moving around too much, though seems in no danger of falling. However I did attempt to film the babies inside the nest - they almost look like black beetles. Because I have to hold the branch with 1 hand and the camera with the other, I had to use automatic focus, which stubbornly focuses on the background. So the nest interior is rather blurred. However you can see the 2 black beetles poking up their small yellow bills, hoping for food. You can also see my rather dirty thumb near the nest, which gives you an idea of size.


No comments:

Post a Comment