BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Fred perches and snacks; first opening dates

Fred returned today to the perch he favored in early june, and I got this clip. Later, at his regular post-sunset snack time, he was back at the cuphea. Note that in both clips it's only when he turns his gorget toward the camera it flashes red - from the side it looks black.




I'll start opening early this year (july 20, 21, 22,  from 10 to 12.30 and from 3-5) then every week until sept 15, but only 3 days a week (and the occasional weekend morning or afternoon, as per the settlement agreement), AND ONLY AT to be ANNOUNCED DATES. If you would like to visit one of these 3 dates, please email me, but bear in mind there will be plenty of other opportunities, with more hummingbird activity (and only 1 visit per season is allowed). No visits without a confirmed appointment! 

I've not yet seen hummers visiting the Lucifer crocosmia, which are in magnificent bloom, together with "Hyperion" daylilies (which hummers never visit). But I caught these 2 clips with butterflies.




No comments:

Post a Comment