BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Empty Nest Syndrome

Yesterday we got an inch of rain and I was not able to look at the nest; I filmed this from inside:



This morning, dry and sunny, I found the nest to be empty. I'm pretty sure that the two chicks fledged yesterday, or possibly very early this morning. The nest did look a bit squished but as I wrote in my last post, it was already somewhat flattened the day before the rain.
Very likely the 2 chicks, still only able to fly very short distances, are hanging out somewhere in the immense (100 feet wide) of their densely-foliaged tropical almond tree. I did spot what appeared to be a young hummer high up in the canopy,at the end of a bare twig, but he was gone by the time I came back with my camera.
In the meantime here's a vid from last summer in Baiting Hollow, showing a male hummer at a feeder with Long Island Sound in the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment