BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Friday, August 12, 2011

Open today 3-6: hummer heaven or heli hell?



We will be open this afternoon (3-6; lihummer.org) but be prepared for 2 sorts of hovering: tiny quiet graceful hummingbirds, and immense, noisy, ugly helicopters carrying fat cats from Manhattan to East Hampton ($2000 one way!: our bailout money!)
The beautiful images are from last year, by Tom Killip (thanks!). They show 2 views of a young male hummer. From one angle he looks like a female (silver throat) but from another you can see the 4 bright red throat feathers, like drops of blood. Over the winter, in south america all the red throat feathers will emerge, and he will arrive back with his complete splendid gorget ready to dazzle the females, and us too! He may succeed in taking over the sanctuary as his personal territory, and will spend the summer chasing and/or seducing intruders. Or perhaps his father will make it back from the perilous double Gulf crossing, and resume his favorite perch on the high dead maple branches overlooking the western valley.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Neighbor, I have owned a little home over in Reeves park since the 90's - my daughter lives there now and I visit. I remember a time when there were no helicoptors flying overhead - it was so nice a peaceful I love your comment about fat cats using our bail out money to fly out east ..it is exactly how I feel . This may sound nutty, but since your sanctuary is a preserve of sorts.. could it become a 'no fly zone' ? I have not gotten to your little paradise, I was hoping for today but it is steady rain :( I will get there before the summer is out though. I have visited most of the butterfly houses and Place and I have a little brown hummer that makes an appearance where I live - but he bounces in and out before I get a chance to take his or her picture .. so I eagerly await a good day to try !! thank you for allowing is nature lovers to come and visit your sanctuary !!! .. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete