BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Smaller waves at Calypso

The Atlantic waves on our beach have diminished but are still impressive. Here's a vid from yesterday evening showing our beach, starting with a close-up of Halcyon Point about a quarter mile east. You can see the waves have brought a significant amount of seaweed (and of course some plastic - see this recent NYT article about this growing problem), and I spent an hour collecting and bagging it (the plastic!). Fortunately the seaweed came up quite high because of the big waves, and once it's dry I (or rather my gardener Kevin) will gather it and use it as mulch on planting beds.


Here's one looking down at the beach from our low bluff.


and another


No comments:

Post a Comment