BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Saturday, May 21, 2016

starring Fred

Although it's a cold gray day I managed to get some videos of Fred. The first 2 show him on one of his favorite perching spots - the same as last year.  In the first   he is silhouetted against the gray, not very horizontal, LI Sound. In the second, both he and I moved position. You can see him occasionally opening his bill- he's probably vocalising but the "squeak" he makes is too high-pitched for me to hear. The tree is a wild black cherry, and you can see the flower buds, which which will soon open to a dull white color, to be followed later by the tart but tasty black fruit. Unfortunately this perch is in a tree that's quite a way down the slope of the western valley, so although he's at an ideal height relative to my viewpoint, I cannot get very close without going downhill, and so viewing him from below. 




In the next 2 videos he's feeding at 2 different feeders. Actually he lingers at both of these feeders, and the clips were shot with a very small time gap, and I wonder whether this is actually Fred (who feeds very quickly). Another clue this might not be Fred: in the second video below he approaches the feeder with some hesitation, clearly not knowing exactly where the outlet is.  In the first video I pan upwards to show where he's perching to guard this feeder. In the second video you can see the red gorget flashing.



No comments:

Post a Comment