BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, May 30, 2016

Fine Fred; Terns' Turn; Montreal Gardens

Too wet to film today, but the rain is perfect for my new plantings.  Here's a vid from a few days ago of Fred on his "favorite" perch (which seems to be becoming less favorite; note the cherry flowers have not yet opened), followed one by a tern feeding frenzy on Long Island Sound.



                                 

Some of my more attentive readers might have noticed that in the right-hand column of this blog, way at the bottom, I list some of the gardens that I most admire, with links. I've just added to this one on the caribbean island of St Vincent. I've visited this island (indeed I nearly drowned there in a volcanic whirlpool) but prior to the development of this spectacular garden, the epitome of tropical lushness and vegetable poetry. Montreal Gardens is the work of a visionary artist/horticulturalist Timothy Vaughan, who splendidly, though a little hurriedly, narrates the video to which I link. At the moment one cannot reach St Vincent by a direct flight from the US (my son Jamie and I reached it by hopscotching, partly by sailboat, the Grenadines (Carriacou, then Union, Mayreau, Canouan, Becquia). As soon as the new much-delayed Argyle Airport opens I'll go there, though I fear the proximity of the airport might ruin the gardens. Here's the fabulous video. Paradise!



No comments:

Post a Comment