BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Thursday, July 20, 2017

first open day of season

while I was waiting for the first visitors of the 2017 season (no-shows) I filmed Fred feeding at cardinal flower:


Cardinal flower is a Long Island native perennial that grows along river banks such as the Peconic and the Nissequogue. It's mainly pollinated by hummingbirds. When the bird feeds, the anther (the tiny stalk projecting above the 2 red petals) snaps down and dabs a patch of pollen onto the forehead. The purple flower is porterweed - a hummingbird magnet, available ONLY at lihummingbirdplants.com.
I'm seeing a couple of young hummingbirds appearing, though Fred chases them away, and I hope there will soon be more.

Visiting slots are available july 21 10-12.30 and 3-5 (but pm only a couple) and sunday july 23 10-12.30. Please email me if you (and others in the same car) would like to visit then, though it's still rather slow. Dates for next week will be posted soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment