BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Link to Online Petition; a Garden Movie; The Brown Recluse Bite


The Online Petition asking the Town of Riverhead to withdraw their attempt to close down the Sanctuary has now passed 1000 votes! - I provide the link at the right. Not bad for a tiny sanctuary for an even tinier bird, which is only open for a few days each year. Many thanks to the petition organizers!

Today's movie is a bit different: yesterday I shot some video of a few random garden scenes, and in the evening, to keep my mind of the BR bite, edited, compiled and captioned them into a short movie (above). It was fairly breezy, and there's some wind noise on the soundtrack (plus at one point a small low-flying single engine plane - usually Calypso is blissfully quiet, except for the ever-present ocean and the wind in the palms), as well as some annoying fluff on the camera sensor. I must soon take the plunge and disassemble the camera (and hopefully re-assemble it).

The Brown Recluse bite started out painful in the night, but as long as my hand is immobile and in a comfortable position the pain goes away, and I slept ok. This morning I see there's a white pimple forming at the center of the swelling: presumably the precursor of "necrosis" (tissue death). Everything hinges on the final extent of the necrosis, and I believe the swelling is not growing beyond the size of a quarter, and might even be slightly shrinking. Claire wants us to go swimming in the ocean today (it will be warm), but I cannot decide if the salt water would be good or bad.

1 comment:

  1. Sea Salt is great for many things. That's all I can say about that I hope you are alright. Bill LIHP

    ReplyDelete