BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, June 23, 2014

Fred's back is up; visiting in august; waivers


Sunday morning Fred spent quite a bit of time perching in the dead branches of a cherry tree that reaches right over the back deck, where we usually eat our meals. Here's a view from below of the iridescent green feathers of his back. At one point he briefly wipes his beak - a typical behavior after feeding.

I'm not yet sure whether we will be able to open to general hummingbird enthusiasts in august, though we will definitely allow some organized private groups (birders, photographers, gardeners etc). In any event we are definitely closed for the moment. We will continue to require waivers, but I think they will be simply available on the spot, so you can sign and place in the box at the entrance. I will be drafting this new waiver over the next few days, and will post the result for comments on this blog. I think we will probably not allow repeated visits. I've already received quite a few waiver requests for this year, and I'll be responding to those personally soon, to say that waivers will be available on site if and when we open.

I sent my last response re the NoV to Investigator Downs this morning, essentially the draft I posted recently. My lawyer, Lynn Ingrao of the law firm Purcell Ingrao, has advised me not to send any more emails to the Town without first consulting her.  In any case, the ball is in their court.

2 comments:

  1. That is sound advice. Please let us know when the NoV has been rescinded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt it will be rescinded but I also doubt it's valid.

    ReplyDelete