BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Thursday, August 7, 2014

new slots posted; weather; sending your pics

As you can see to the right of this post, I've added some new slots, and will add more in the near future, throughout august (though some days and times will not be available, such as next tuesday). Please do not request times other than the slots I announce here - I cannot keep track of requests for random days, and I cannot guarantee too far in advance that conditions will be favorable for viewing, visiting, or receiving visits. All visitors should remember to wear walking shoes (sneakers not flip-flops).

Here are a couple of recent photos from Marcy and Patti. However, they are a bit over-compressed - around 250KB is usually ideal (much larger than that takes forever to download using my slowDSL internet service).


here the hummer feeds at rosebud salvia (**) ; the tall pale blue spires are bog sage, which gets fewer visits from hummers (*).


This one shows a tiger swallowtail feeding at butterfly bush (*). Both show Long Island Sound in the background.

We are having a long stretch of nice weather, if anything a bit too cool for me. It's not perfect for hummer-viewing either, because some of ours are already moving south for the winter. The best conditions are usually south winds, which lead the hummers to accumulate here waiting for the north winds that will waft them to the tropics.

No comments:

Post a Comment