BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Fred guards his feeders

After working all day, in the garden and other things, I decided to try to film the female who has been quickly visiting 2 feeders located at the northwest edge of the sanctuary,  close to the bluff where I suspect she is nesting. But when I settled in, in the rapidly fading dusk, I saw that Fred had the same idea: he was perched near the feeder and guarding it against this interloper (and, perhaps, conquest).

Sure enough within a minute the female approached and Fred immediately charged. The first vid shows Fred, in silhoutte, perching and guarding. The second vid zooms back a bit, so you can see the feeder in the foreground, and the very rapid action that ensues. Not good visibility, but interesting.





No comments:

Post a Comment