BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Video of Mme W feeding her chicks

Finally we have a dry day and I was able to film Mme W feeding her recently hatched chicks. However, they are already quite big, and I'm sure that although I first realized the eggs had hatched yesterday, they actually hatched at least the day before. She's still sitting on them a lot, but I waited until she left for a few minutes, knowing she would soon return with a stomach-full of insects. Which she did. As usual she approaches the nest cautiously, first alighting on a nearby branch and surveying the scene. Then, when the coast is clear, she dashes to the nest. I start the camera rolling when I see her leave her preliminary inspection post.


As of yesterday LaLa is also doing fine. Rufous hummingbirds start their northward migration from Mexico in late winter, reaching their breeding grounds in Washington State, British Columbia and South East Alaska in early summer. Relative to their body length this is the longest migration of any bird.  I wonder when LaLa will start her northeastern migration?

No comments:

Post a Comment