BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Closed am, open pm (tuesday); waivers


We are closed this tuesday morning for a private garden club visit but will be open this afternoon (3-5.30) BUT YOU MUST BRING WAIVERS, be able to walk well, and follow the Woodland Path starting near the parking lot at the yellow minibridge. Please, newbies only (NO REVISITS) and limit your stay to 1/2 hour. If you park in the Town Sound Ave Preserve lot down on Sound Ave, and hike the half-mile up, you can stay till closing. We should be open the rest of the week but always check the blog before setting out.

NO NEW WAIVERS ARE BEING ISSUED THIS YEAR (we close sept 1 for the season).

Today's beautiful photo is a recent one by Bob Immoor, and shows a hummer feeding at a, suitably wet, Salvia involucrata "Mulberry Jam" (Rosebud sage). I also have the even better S. involucrata "Bethellii" which overwintered here and is now quite tall but not yet flowering. They are both 4-star hummer plants. Tomorrow I hope to write about the rating system I use for hummingbird-friendly plants.

Because of the evolving situation with the Town and 2 neighbors, I need some good legal advice. In the past, because of similar issues, and at considerable expense, I retained the services of the best local law firm and received much useful advice. However, in order to minimize further expense, it would be wonderful if one of my nice visitors might know of (or even be) a bird-friendly lawyer willing to help the sanctuary survive on a reduced or even pro bono basis. Please email me if you have suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment