BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Waiver Update; Cardinal Flower

I beleive that I have now given permission to all those who, via Google Docs, have requested a waiver form. However, it's possible that I have missed a few people out. If you have not yet received an email from me giving permission to access the waiver, please either request via Google Docs, or by emailing me directly.
The waiver system is now working well, in the sense that almost everyone brings a signed waiver (though some forget to PRINT THEIR NAMES). We should be open every day this week (except tuesday am) - BUT ALWAYS CHECK THE BLOG before setting out. I thank everyone for their cooperation!

Here's another nice recent picture by Jimmy Chiu, this time showing nectaring at cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis), perhaps the best hummingbird perennnial for Long Island. Unfortunately many garden centers have cultivars and hybrids of this that lack the nectar of the species. Insist on the original!



No comments:

Post a Comment