BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, August 15, 2011

Closed again today; hoping to open tomorrow pm


We are closed today, but if the rain holds off we will open tomorrow from 3 to 6 (but please check the blog to be sure). Here is a reminder of sun and clear blue skies, taken recently by Joe Maggio (thanks!). The flowers include red porterweed, agastache and red yucca, all good hummingbird plants. I had a nice purple porterweed (Stachytarpheta frantzii) for several years, which was an hummer magnet. However one winter I lost it (neglect, not cold: it was inside, since it is a tropical). The red porterweed (sometimes called snakeweed), S. mutabilis is prettier but the flowers are slightly smaller, and it is not quite as attractive to hummers (I think, but one really needs to do a side-by-side comparison). I got the red porterweed, and also the red yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora) from the Peconic River Herb Farm, a delightful nursery and garden by the Peconic River, with nice hummingbirds and nicer staff .

No comments:

Post a Comment