BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Friday, December 30, 2016

The putative dad


Yestarday I positioned a step ladder so I can film Thumbelina's nest from a more horizontal view, a bit closer - and the step ladder also conceals my movements somewhat.
Here's a male woodstar who is hanging out just on the other side of the cottage from the nest. I'm assuming he is the father. In the first video below you can briefly see his brilliant purple throat gorget (4X slo-mo). In the second video you can see how he repositions himself on his perch, using a very quick flight. Hummingbirds cannot walk - indeed that's why they are classified in the order "Apodiformes" or "legless ones", together with the swifts. Unlike other birds their legs are covered in skin rather than scales.






The wind from the north has arrived with a brief rain-shower, and now the nest is swaying around but looking good - I'll try to get video if the sun comes out and post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment