BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Hummingbird feeding at Pink (or Red) Powderpuff




Shot at Calypso Garden (Eleuthera), jan 31 2015. The pink powderpuff, Calliandra hematocephala, is a hummingbird favorite, which I have grown (but could not successfully over-winter even inside) at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary. Some also refer to the far more hardy Mimosa, Julibrissin albizzii, which grows outdoors on Long Island, as powderpuff. This is also a hummer favorite but I think given the choice they prefer the true powderpuff.
I found a hummer nest today, but it looks abandoned. It has a rather cold egg inside, plus the fragments of a second egg. I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow and report back.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful video of two of the cutest things on earth imho.

    ReplyDelete