BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Sunday, September 25, 2016

New close-up hummer vids, new Sony Camera 4K camera and old HD Canon.

Today the light was brilliant and since there are till quite a few hummingbirds around I spent an hour filming. I was able to get very close to a patient perched youngster (I think a young male) - only about 4 feet away - and here is one of the results, filmed with my new Sony 4K camcorder. First version is real time, second is 4X slo-mo. In the slo-mo version you can clearly see the brief beak-opening (presumably corresponding to a brief "squeak") near the beginning, which is so quick it's almost impossible to catch on the real-time version. In fact, if you run the slo-mo version at 0.5 speed you can see he does a second brief beak-opening.  The movie was not shot at 4K resolution, but even the HD is much better on the Sony.





And here's a much longer sequence from the same set, in regular time, showing a general zoom-out at the end.



Here for comparison is a close-up of an adult male from a couple of years ago (though not quite as close) filmed with my Canon HD camcorder. 





No comments:

Post a Comment