BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Possible early opening?

Hummer activity has definitely picked up, and yesterday I saw a 3-hummer chase. If this continues I will be able to open somewhat earlier than planned, before the end of the month. Details will be posted on this blog - please do not visit except at posted opening times.
In the meantime, here is a new video. The bird darts rapidly from flower to flower and there are moments when the he/she (it's an adult female or more likely a juvenile) is out of field. I can either zoom back and hope to have the bird in view again, or take my eye off the camera - neither technique is ideal. I am practising keeping one eye on the viewfinder and using the other to watch reality!





No comments:

Post a Comment