BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Today's videos; red horsechestnut

The first vid shows Fred taking off from his favorite perch. 2X slo-mo


The second shows Fred, in a rear view, perching on a branch hanging over the back deck.



This afternoon I was sitting in the lower garden, taking a break from planting a batch of Salvia involucrata "Bethellii" which I obtained from the Colorful Garden (a local wholesaler whose great flowers are widely available in retail stores throughout Long Island, including their Jamesport retail store). Some of you may remember that around this time last year I was featuring here on the blog the very pretty red horsechestnut Aesculus x pavia known as "Fort McNair". Well I was admiring this small tree, which is now in flower again, when who should roll up and sample the flowers but ..... Fred! It was quite sight to see Fred flaunting his red gorget as he buzzed between the spectacular pink flowers. The tree is actually a hybrid of Red Buckeye (which is also a good hummingbird tree, of which I have 2 at the sanctuary) and regular horse-chestnut A. hippocastanum. Of course I did not have the camera with me, but I will show some images of the tree tomorrow.
Last, a couple of bonus vids. The first shows treetops on the far rim of the western valley, with a striking cloud formation (2X fast motion). The second shows one of my lilacs, and then the oak tree at whose foot the lilac. I've cut some of the fragrant blooms for the 2 cabins.



No comments:

Post a Comment