BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Opening july 20; Fred and Female/Juvie

Our first open date this season will be july 20, followed by 21 and 22. More dates will be posted soon, until the end of the season sept 15. Please note WE ARE ONLY OPEN BY CONFIRMED APPOINTMENT, and for posted dates/times only. We open 10-12.30 and/or 3-5. Please email me at paul.adams#stonybrook.edu requesting a specific date and time; I will then send you visiting information and a confirmation of your appointment. Of course friends are welcome (and encouraged) to visit at any time (appointment also though please), but preferably not during our public open days/times. Always closed 12.30-3. Thanks!

I spent a pleasant hour or 2 this afternoon in the lower garden, and saw quite a lot of Fred, mostly perching on twigs about 7 feet above me, cleaning his beak, darting his tongue, briefly opening his beak probably to "chip" or "squeak" a warning, and above all watching in every direction for intruders. I suspected that he was spending a lot of time in this sector because of interlopers. Indeed, I filmed this guy at one of his bluff-top feeders while Fred was briefly absent. Note the white band on the tail tip, characteristic of females or juveniles. Note also the ascending bubbles as nectar is consumed.


Here's Fred at the same feeder.

 


                                  

and perching nearby, just above me.



No comments:

Post a Comment