BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, August 29, 2016

Kids and Hummingbirds; Visiting

Currently Available Visiting Dates (BY APPOINTMENT ONLY: paul.adams^stonybrook.edu

any time between am:(10-12.30) or pm : (3-5)

CLOSED LABOR DAY
tues sept 6 am, pm
wed sept 7 am only
thur sept 8 am,pm
friday pm only
sat or sunday: half-day TBA
tuesday sept 13 am,pm
wed sept 14 am only
thur sept 15: am, pm
all dates rain or shine; no early birds!
We then close for the year; next season (july 20 -sept 15 2017) will be our LAST!


One of the greatest pleasures of the summer is seeing the delight children take in the hummingbirds at the sanctuary.  Indeed encouraging children's interest in nature is one of the reasons I open the sanctuary to visitors, and it's sad that after next year I have to close the sanctuary to general visitors. A wonderful summer nature camp for kids (grades K-6), enthusiastically and knowledgeably led by the marvelous musician/artist/naturalist duo Johnny and Kristen Cuomo, has visited the sanctuary for many years and here's a sample of the children's art work from their visit this year.















4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. Such inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The children's paintings are wonderful. I have always wanted to visit your sanctuary as I have a love of hummingbirds. I hope to be able to get there before it closes for general visitors. Keep up your wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Few opportunities left for this week, but plenty more in the following 2 weeks; we then close until 2016 - our final season1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Fall I am sorry I had not been able to get to the sanctuary this past year, I so love it there. I had three hummers here who left abruptly the weekend of the storm. I felt I would enjoy the ones here so others might visit your beautiful site Enjoy your winter hummingbird season and I hope to visit next year. Stay well

    ReplyDelete