BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Saturday, December 30, 2017

The Other Chick Fledges

This morning the second chick was still in the nest - but clearly almost ready to fledge:




I was able to film Mom feeding this chick.



A bit later I filmed what I took to be Mom approach the nest as if to feed but on reviewing the video I saw that it was a male - note the purple throat - possibly Dad. Maybe he was urging Junior to jump, but instead the chick cowered very low into the nest. Then at noon I saw the nest was empty. I heard a hummer buzzing around in a nearby tree - and filmed what I believe to be Mom preening herself. She then went higher into the branches but I could not see if she was feeding her fledged chicks.




No comments:

Post a Comment