BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, July 7, 2014

Fireworks! Coral in slo mo

The fifth of july fireworks on the beach in front of the front cottage "SeaGull Lodge" here at the sanctuary were as usual, spectacular. Here's just a glimpse, more video to follow.


Meanwhile hummer activity is definitely starting to pick up a bit. While I sat with my lawyer Lynn in the lower garden this morning near the bluff  (very nice lady, with whom I feel both comfortable and impressed) discussing the legal issues, a hummer showed up several times. Here's a slo-mo film of (I think) Coral feeding at one of the feeders we watched (taken yesterday, not during our legal conference!)  Note how she sweeps her wings in a figure eight pattern. Notice also that during her snack several large bubbles float up in the nectar reservoir, showing that she's consuming significant quantities of liquid. Bees often feed at the feeders too, but one never sees bubbles, because the amount they consume is insignificant. Nevertheless whenever I see a bee on a feeder I always give it a good pinch, to scare it away (and sometimes I confess it gets squashed - so far this year no stings. Hummers are very wary when bees are at their feeder.


I'll write more about Lynn's visit tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment