BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

wing beat video; trumpet creeper (**)

Here's another slo mo (4X) video showing the details of the wing motion (1/1000 sec shutter speed). On the left you can just see flowers of the golden trumpet creeper Campsis radicans "Flava", which is a 2 star hummer plant. Below the video is a still of the red version of trumpet creeper.
By the way I forgot to say in my last post what rates 4 stars: a sugar water feeder! (an essentially bottomless well of nectar).



No comments:

Post a Comment