BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

A New Blog: reevesbeach.blogspot.com

Years ago I used to run, but had to give it up because of hip problems (bursitis). In Eleuthera this winter I started to run again, but on the beach, and because the sand is soft, my hips are cushioned and it was good to get my heart and lungs pumping again. So on returning to Baiting Hollow, I decided to try running on the beach below the sanctuary. In the past I've tended to ignore the beach, for a variety of reasons: the trash, the ruts, the vehicular traffic, the loud music and other noise (including gunplay), the sometimes unsavory characters, etc etc. But in the early morning the beach is usually quiet or even empty. And on my walk back from my run, I started to pick up the trash - a sisyphean task! Then I decided to start a facebook page ("Reeves Beach") to document the natural beauty and human ugliness of this magnificent but damaged beach. But after a short while I decided that the blog format suits me best - not least because I can upload pictures straight from my phone to the blog. It's at reevesbeach.blogspot.com. Turning seventy, I realize what's most important to me, in my remaining time, other than family and friends, is enjoying, respecting and preserving the natural world - especially the parts where I live, political correctness, diplomacy and even sometimes politeness be damned. The following images are from today's run, and are more in the nature of a test of the phone-to-blog process. This hummingbird blog will resume soon!


before I climb back uphome, I sit and catch my breath and enjoy the view.

Today's haul of trash


sometimes the good not the bad












reevesbeach.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment