BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Friday, June 23, 2017

drone not hummer

I got a DJI Spark drone for my birthday with which I'm hoping to shoot some interesting footage, both at the sanctuary and elsewhere.
This is the drone that was recently featured in the NY Times. It comes with its own HD camera mounted on a gimbal, and can be controlled using a smartphone. Here are some preliminary results.



Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately since I'm a complete beginner), the range one can operate the drone is quite limited using a cell phone, less than 100 feet. But it's enough to practice with. In addition there's a (known) bug when using an Android phone, which causes one to lose the connection with the drone. Lots to learn! 
It tends to be very windy here but the drone seems to handle gusty wind remarkably well: when it's hovering and a gust comes one can hear the motors revving very strongly but it remains in place. In the second video the voice-over, which I recorded during filming, was added afterwards in
post-production, so it's not perfectly synchronized. 










No comments:

Post a Comment