BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Lawsuit settlement


Hummingbird feeding at flowers of yellow coral honeysuckle (and ignoring its own reflection); 4x slo-mo

According to the settlement of the lawsuit against me by one of my neighbors (Kamal Bherwani), and certain other individuals, I may only open the sanctuary to my "public" invitees during the period july 20 - sept 15.  I put the word "public" in quotes because the issue as to what is "public" was never clarified. Let us assume here that it refers to persons who respond to my public announcement that I will receive visitors on particular days, whether these persons are friends, acquaintances or merely those with an interest in hummingbirds who I would like to meet. Prior to the settlement I only welcomes such general visitors during the month of august, so paradoxically the settlement actually enlarged visitation. I believe the plaintiffs stipulated this "restriction" because they were totally unaware of the dates I was actually open. This expansion of general period was offset by a stipulation that I could only receive visits 3 and one half days per week (the half day being at the weekend). I am at liberty to choose the exact dates, and I try to judge when the weather would be most favorable, and the noise from helicopters and seaplanes minimal, within constraints set by my personal private activities. The settlement of the lawsuit, to which, under considerable pressure, I agreed, also stipulates that all "public" visitation to my property will cease after sept 15 2017.  In my next post I will turn to the lawsuit itself.

3 comments:

  1. Are there any dates available for viewing during the week of 8/28?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that I have had the opportunity to meet you and to visit your garden. It is an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad and I thoroughly enjoyed visiting you and your lovely piece of heaven. It's a treasured memory for both of us. The hummers were the 1st I had ever seen in person and it was unforgettable. Thank you. Donna Smith

    ReplyDelete