BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Saturday, August 2, 2014

8.30 report from the sanctuary

I'm sitting under the front porch (really just an awning) of "Seagull Lodge", the tiny cabin perched near the top of the bluff. It's raining moderately but continuously but this year, because of some minor changes, it's quite dry there. In front of me Long Island Sound is gray and merges into the gray sky, without a clear horizon. I see quite a few hummers, unfazed by the rain, coming to the flowers, and even chasing each other as they love to do. I just saw the adult male with his fleshing red throat. I will try to get some video, but in the meantime I show below a couple of photos taken yesterday by Linda Keary. I expect only a few visitors today, and of course we are only open by appointment (see available slots to the right of this post).



The top image shows a hummingbird feeding at golden trumpet creeper (Campsis radicans "Flava"), and the bottom at rosebud salvia. Many thanks to Linda Keary for these nice pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment