BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, August 4, 2014

Fred's still flashing; more open slots


As many of my readers know I call the resident adult male hummingbird at the sanctuary, Fred, in honor of other bellicose residents here. He's still here, though lying a bit lower than formerly, because of competition from other, younger, hummers. Here's a recent clip with him flashing his red gorget.

The weekend was damp and gray but there was plenty of hummer action, though only a few visitors. This morning the Syosset Garden Club visited, the weather was good, they all saw plenty of hummers, though not as many as the weekend. They were interested in the various unusual hummingbird plants we grow here, of which more in a later post. If you have a formal group that wants to visit, such as a garden club, an Audubon chapter, or a photography group, you can contact me and reserve a private time (at which photographers may bring long lenses and tripods). I'm also adding progressively more "slots" for unaffiliated hummingbird enthusiasts (see to right of this post).

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I am unable to find where to make an appt. my mother in law is coming to town 8/22-8-25. It would be for four including myself and my two sons who are now 11.
    Regards,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete