BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, May 11, 2015

more mating - but very different this time.

Yesterday while I was working in a flower bed, I noticed 2 box turtles chasing each other. When I returned a short while later, I observed the male climb onto the back of the female. They were partly obscured by leaf litter and a newly planted Salvia guaranitica, whose rather minimal shade and cover they seemed to like for their amours. The male remained firmy attached to the female (who you can only just see underneath in the videos), and after settling in comfortably he started regular brief bitings in the region of the female's withdrawn head. Each bite made a definite faint clicking sound, which you can hear on the second video. Apparently this coupling can last for 2 hours, but I had to go shopping.





3 comments:

  1. Interesting. A sanctuary for turtles too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to keep the place as natural (unmanicured) as possible, with the exception of growing hummer-friendly plants. Despite recent development, the sanctuary is still surrounded by fairly natural woods. So we see lots of wildlife, including the beautiful and rare (on Long Island) rough green snake, and, in earlier years, the elegant weasel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I loved the video. Mostly because I always saw these sweet box turtles all over the place when I was growing up.
    But, now to see them mating makes me so happy that they have the habitat to thrive in.
    thank goodness, that you have saved this very special place for all these animals to survive.
    You are a godsend, Paul.

    ReplyDelete