BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, July 3, 2017

Back to Fred


I added a small bowl feeder (Aspects "HummBlossom", available at lihummingbirdplants.com) to the dead branch, hanging over the back deck, where Fred often perches, and he seems to like it. Much of the time he is on the tip of the dead pine tree that allows him a sweeping view of the western valley, where I cannot get close enough to film him well.



But he sometimes leaves this spot, either to patrol the rest of his territory, or else to visit his perch over the deck, from which he will often briefly visit this little bowl feeder, which allows him to stand while feeding. Here's the perch just above the feeder. At then end of the clip he dives down to the minibowl feeder. I over-exposed the video so although he's in silhouette against the sky you can see a lot of detail. So far this summer I'm only rarely seeing other hummers - Fred is keeping them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment