BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, August 13, 2012

Open this afternoon (monday); Purple Majesty


We will be open today (i.e. monday aug 13) from 3 to 5.30 only. Yesterday afternoon was very busy (apparently the photo I posted on friday appeared in Newsday with a link to the sanctuary - a mixed blessing!) and some people got lost on the way. So I've added a permanent "Directions" tab to the blog (just to the right of this post), which includes a link to a Google map. I will gradually add tabs with useful general information, though lihummer.org will remain the main source.

We will probably open tuesday am but NOT pm, but please check the blog.

The image, by David Maclean, shows a hummer feeding at salvia "Purple Majesty". This is a cross between S. guaranitica and S gesneraeflora, the latter having red flowers. It can grow to 6 feet and is a hummer magnet, but unfortunately in my garden it tends to develop a local stem weakness and suddenly buckles over.

No comments:

Post a Comment