BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Friday, August 31, 2012

Open today fri am/pm; garage sales; monarchs


We will be open today 3-5.30. However, hummer activity is quite low. Yesterday afternoon was fairly busy but I think everyone saw quite a bit of hummingbird activity. I enjoyed seeing old friends, and new friends bearing small gifts. Most needed are old but sturdy garden seats (plastic is fine). If you happen to spot something at a garage sale at a low price, think of us. You are welcome to drop such items off in the back (main) parking lot, even when we are not open - we will find them!
Parking is of course very limited, and located quite far from the main viewing areas; if any member of your party has great difficulty walking, please email me (see lihummer.org) and I will authorize you to park in the much closer accessory ("by permission only") lot.
I'm afraid today's picture (by Michelle Neacy) is another insect one (don't worry, plenty more hummer images to come), but I could not resist these graceful flowers decorated with a monarch. Monarchs are apparently (according to Wikipedia) the only butterfly that makes a bird-like southern/northern migration, but unlike birds this is done over several generations. The final destination of the eastern monarchs is a small area of pine-oak forest just 60 miles north of Mexico City! - about the same distance from Baiting Hollow to NY City.

No comments:

Post a Comment