BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

New Feeding and Attack Video


 Bougainvillea comes in various colors but I think this pink-and-white is my favorite.


Here's today's babyfeeding video: arrival on the nest, the first chick popping up his beak and peeping, feeding both chicks (which are now even bigger and more ravenous), and, at the end, an attack (I cannot move the camera fast enough to capture her trajectory, but you can here the "buzzing" of the wings very close to the camera). Notice the iridescent green back - just like the ruby throat. Indeed all the behavior I'm seeing here is the same as what I 've seen in Baiting Hollow, when my neighbor had a hummingbird nest in her larch tree (which he cut down that winter to build a 2-story garage).

No comments:

Post a Comment