BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Rare footage of mating Great Lizard Cuckoos; Palm Shadows; Gumbo feeding chicks

This morning quite by chance I was able to film the mating of a pair of Great Lizard Cuckoos (GLCs), one of Eleuthera's rarest and most interesting birds. However, I've not yet reviewed and uploaded the footage. In the meantime here's film from  yesterday showing Gumbo feeding the babies. They have not grown much but are rapidly becoming more like small hummingbirds. First though a video of the shadows cast by waving coconut palm fronds next to the ocean.




No comments:

Post a Comment