BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Sunday, August 2, 2015

another beautiful day; great spangled fritillary; please follow the rules!


choices, choices.... rosebud or bog? Salvia uliginosa on the right, S. involucrata on the left, and Archilochus colubris in the middle. Another great photo by Mike Chachkes, from aug 1.

IF YOU SUCCESSFULLY ASK FOR AN APPOINTMENT to visit at your chosen slot time you will receive an approval email with various instructions. Please ensure that ALL IN YOU PARTY follow these key instructions.
And if you cannot understand, after carefully reading the column (to the right of this post) titled "August Visiting", how to ask for an appointment please don't email me guessing, or assuming, or asking me. There are more people who want to come than can come and I give preference to those who understand and follow the rules. These rules have been established to make my life, and my neighbors',  easier.

Another beautiful day sunday at the sanctuary, with more visitors to enjoy it than yesterday. 2 of them spotted this gorgeous large orange butterfly, feeding on buddleia, and later identified it as a Great Spangled Fritillary. We get lots of butterflies, drawn by the nectiferous plantings, mostly swallowtails (tiger and spicebush), monarchs, sulphurs, skippers and painted ladies. This one was unusual - thanks Carole for the photo.


I've posted additional slots.

No comments:

Post a Comment