BASICS


BASICS: "Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with reverence..." (J. J. Audubon).
This is a blog about my summer life at the Baiting Hollow Hummingbird Sanctuary, at my winter garden, Calypso, in the Bahamas, and aspects of life in general.
This private sanctuary is now permanently closed to the general public, as a result of a lawsuit brought by a neighbor. Only my friends and personal guests may visit (paul.adams%stonybrook.edu).

Monday, August 3, 2015

More slots posted - and many more to come


Another aug 1 photo by Mike Chachkes rosebud salvia.

Today we had quite a few visitors (including 2 excellent photographers - some of their images soon to come). It was quite spectular on the back deck: there was a prolonged (and still ongoing) aerial combat between the resident adult male (probably Fred) and a young hummer (male or female) who both wanted to own the flowers in pots there. They kept weaving between us, above us and all around us. It all looked quite playful but I think it was in deadly earnest - you don't want to mess with Fred, but the youngster won't give up. I shot a lot of video some of which I hope caught the action - and others took a lot of stills. More to come.

IF YOU SUCCESSFULLY ASK FOR AN APPOINTMENT to visit at your chosen slot time you will receive an approval email with various instructions. Please ensure that ALL IN YOU PARTY follow these key instructions.
And if you cannot understand, after carefully reading the column (to the right of this post) titled "Visiting in August", how to ask for an appointment please don't email me guessing, or assuming, or asking or imploring me. There are more people who want to come than can come and I give preference to those who understand and follow the rules. These rules have been established to make my life, and my neighbors', easier. I'm delighted to welcome hummingbird enthusiasts, and many of you follow the rules and quickly receive an appointment.
Additional available slots have been posted in the right-hand column of this blog, and many more will be, gradually and on a rolling basis. 


No comments:

Post a Comment